Saturday, April 26, 2014

THIS WEEK IN THE MISSION OFFICES...

 ...Elder Newman learned that JavaScript is just about the worst option out there.

"What does that have to do with missionary work," you ask? Well, it has to do with how missionaries get reimbursements. We used to have an online form in which they submitted their reimbursement, and now the form is broken. So, who's job is it to fix the thing? Mine. So, I begin looking for various options and learn that, to my current knowledge, the only viable option is Google Apps Script, which, according to Google itself, is an implementation of the JavaScript programming language.

Well, I'm fed up, but I can't leave that project sitting there, because it's worse than the other option: Scrolling through about 100 different emails each week, all on Monday after 6:00, opening individual image files and trying to decipher what they bought, how much it was, and "is this really reimbursable?"

So that's what I've been working on. 

And here's my desk, if anyone's (not) interested:


It looks slightly better right now. And the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's channel is fantastic. And it looks like, by that pile of papers to the left, that I took this picture last week.

And such is life. But back to Rita - her daughter gave a talk about baptism at the service. It was a fantastic message - you could hear (and see) how joy-filled she was that her mother, who, a few months ago wouldn't even let her go to Church, was getting baptized. She's a fantastic convert.

So yeah. Things are fantastic out here; I love the mission and the Church and I know without a single doubt that this is the restored Church of Jesus Christ, and that Joseph Smith was a prophet, and this because I have prayed about the Book of Mormon and each time I hear Joseph Smith's account of the first vision, I fill the Holy Ghost testify to me that it's true.

Any doubts? Well, for me, none whatsoever. And that is why I love the mission.

Thank you all for your support and love,

Elder Newman

No comments:

Post a Comment